Monday, January 22, 2007

Dinner with Friends

We had friends over for dinner on Saturday night and had a delightful time. Food always tastes so much better with friends. I also love taking the time to prepare a big meal and set the table...focusing on all of the details. I love details. I have a quote that I painted above my kitchen cabinets which reads " To invite a person into your home is to take charge of his happiness for as long as he is under your roof." ~ A. Brillat-Savarin. I love this quote and at least attempting to accomplish this. We enjoy many delicious dinners at our home, but most of those are spent sitting around the coffee table...not so glamorous, but we think life should be comfortable.

I have a new favorite salad dish that we have been enjoying on almost a daily basis. It is simple and delicious. I chop up three colors of peppers and a few cucumbers. I have been buying a small imported variety from a local Armenian grocer because of their wonderful flavor. I then top it with feta cheese and tzatziki. Tzatziki is a Greek sauce that is easy to make and we use for dressing salads, on meats, as a dip, etc.

Tzatziki

1 small cucumber
1 clove garlic
1 cup plain yogurt (Greek yogurt is best, but you can also use Stoneyfield Whole Milk Yogurt as it is thicker like Greek yogurt)
1 Tbsp Olive Oil
2 tsp lemon juice
1 tsp chopped fresh mint or dill
salt to taste

Peel and then shred cucumber (or dice). Drain excess liquid and add cucumber and pressed garlic to yogurt. Add olive oil, lemon juice and mint or dill and then season with salt.

If served alone as a salad (diced cucumber), add a few Kalamata olives as a garnish.

Enjoy!

No comments: