Friday, January 19, 2007

100!

I made it to blog entry 100! Granted, it has taken me a little over a year... However, I reflect back on this year...all of the wonderful things that have happened in my life and I am so thankful. This blog is my artistic accountability, journal and place to connect with new friends. I have loved all of the things I have learned from the blogging community and I have enjoyed carving my own little niche in it. So here it is... to 100 entries and many more...to new designs...to SimplyJune...to new experiences and to many new friends!

A new bib for snack time... I have been working on some new designs for some soon-to-be new babies in my life. I have been working with my limited supply of some cute new imported German fabric. However, I like to try out new ideas and designs either with a basic muslin or some of the scraps from my fabric stash. As a bib is hardly complex, I sketched out a pattern on tissue paper and decided to make Nikolai a new bib out of designer Michael Miller's Disco Dot pattern. I had been debating about sewing the front and back together with a raw edge and then adding bias tape to finish. However, I decided to sew front sides together and turn inside out. I am actually fairly happy with the result despite a few glitches that I will fix on the next. I also wanted to try out some of the iron-on vinyl that I have in order to make a wipe-clean surface. I had the vinyl folded in storage, so I was a bit worried about how it would look. I cut a rectangle just bigger than my bib cutout and peeled off the backing. I found that it is a bit sticky so that you can temporarily adhere it to your fabric and smooth it out. It looked great. I then followed the rest of the instructions for fusing to the fabric. The only difficulty I cam across was that the vinyl became quite wrinkled as I turned the bib right-side-out. It ironed fairly flat again and I then stitched up the opening by machine sewing a finishing stitch around the edge. I used iron-on Velcro to finish it off. So, now the debate...wipe-clean surface or plain cotton...


















1 comment:

lamplight designs said...

Congratulations on 100! I'm not even half-way there yet. Love the aqua and brown bib, great idea to make it wipeable.