Monday, July 02, 2007

"It's surely summer. for there's a swallow: Come one swallow, his mate will follow... "
Rossetti




















I have been taking some time to work on a few home projects. It is surely summer in my kitchen with a new embroidered dish towel featuring an endearing swallow swooping in for some juicy red cherries. A beautiful vintage illustration of a swallow inspired this design. I took a scan of the image and sized it in Illustrator to best fit my towel. I then printed it out. Using a heat transfer pencil, I outlined the details of the bird that I wanted to embroider and then turned my paper over...carefully placing it in a choice spot on my towel and ironed. You are then left with a fine outline of your design and a really portable project. I pop my embroidery threads, a small pair of scissor, my project and a needle in a small handled basket so that I can grab it whenever I want. I spent some of Sunday at a playground with Nikolai. He was hard a "work" moving sand and rocks in the sandbox, while I found a sunny bench and pulled out my embroidery. A little girl, about 7, sat down next to me and told me that my cherries were "pretty, but looked like flowers because of the green." She told me she ate a cherry once.

No comments: