Thursday, November 29, 2007

Matryoshka Ornaments

These little gals along with some of their friends are going to my show tonight. I designed the doll in Illustrator and then my right hand man, Jason, carved it out for me from a linoleum block. Did you do this type of project in school?... I made a zebra in 7th grade. I absolutely loved my art teacher. She was young, fun, a little quirky, totally relateable to an awkward 13 year old. One day she actually brought a whole bunch of her jewelry into class that she wanted to recycle and each of the girls got to pick out something for themselves. I picked a silver ring with three small turquoise stones in it. I still have that ring. As far as I was concerned, this teacher was sharing her precious jewels with us and I felt really special. Anyway, back to the print block...I then used a brayer to spread fabric ink on the block and stamped the design onto natural linen fabric. I then embroidered freehand flowers to dress her up a bit. The back of these stuffed ornaments features a Japanese import Matryoshka fabric...very cute.

I will also be taking orders for these gals until December 16th. They retail for $10 + $2 s&h. They make a perfect hostess gift, stocking stuffer or package decoration.

1 comment:

CassieMarie said...

These are SO cute! I love their little embroidered bellies!! They remind me of potato prints that we used to do as kids :)