Monday, February 11, 2008

Valentine Felted Flower Brooches

I mailed cute Valentine brooches to a few of my lovely Valentines today. I picked up a little needle felting kit at my local craft store a few weeks ago and took my first try at this craft and loved it. What is not to love about stabbing wool with a needle into foam...relieving the tensions of the day... I have tried wet felting before in the form of bead making. I love working with a beautiful palette of colors and texture, but it is so time consuming. I was talking to another crafter at a show this winter who makes the most beautiful felted wool earrings. She tends to make a whole array of beads and then selects them for size. She also mentioned that even as you get better at felting, there is no shortening the process. I have a whole new respect for felted items! Check out lusitania's shop on Etsy sometime...

Last week I placed an order for Merino roving from The Yarn Tree in Brooklyn. I'm dying to get a chance to visit the shop some day...maybe on a trip to Renegade? They carry a huge palette of the softest Merino roving and I selected about 15 colors to start my collection. I love the idea of painting with fiber. These flower pins are likely just the start of many new ideas and I can't wait to evolve in my designs. I also love the organic feel of the designs when you use natural materials.

Oh, and the darling "je t'aime" Valentines are courtesy of the Black Apple...head over and print some out for your lovelies!





















No comments: