Thursday, March 08, 2007

Mac n Cheese

Jason picked up a copy of Cooking Light's "best of" magazine last week and we have been cooking our way through some of the recipes this week.

As Kolya and I were in a cooking sort of mood today, we made the "Whole Wheat, Oatmeal, and Raisin Muffins" and the "Creamy Stove-Top Macaroni and Cheese".

The muffins feature much more than their name...including wheat germ, wheat bran, chopped dates, cranberries and buttermilk (along with your more typical baking ingredients). An interesting step included adding a 1/2 cup of boiling water to the batter to cook the oats and saturate the germ and bran. They were surprisingly moist and delicious...even Kolya 2.5 scarfed one down. Although, I do attest to be raising a carb addict...

The Macaroni and Cheese was good. I substituted the cheddar cheese with a Provolone, Asiago and Fontaine mix to give it a sharper flavor. Tasty, but not exactly sure what I think about the Dijon mustard, Garlic and Worcestershire sauce blend... They added a distinct flavor, but I'm afraid my palate is a little less "gourmet" when it comes to Mac n Cheese...Mac in a box might be a little more my speed I'm afraid to admit. Still...a warm, yummy, wintry sort of meal...

No comments: